Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Apologies Americans

As many of you know, I have not always had the best attitude towards the country which I live in. I have often been critical of Americans for the amount of resources that we have and the portion of those resources that find their way into the hands of someone who truly needs them.
For that, I would like to apologize a little.
Over the past few weeks in the wake of the earthquake in Haiti it would appear that America has forgotten about itself somewhat. It has been incredible for me to watch the outpouring of resources to the people of Haiti and the organizations wishing to help the Haitians. Within the first week of the earthquake the Red Cross had raised $10 million on their text messaging campaign alone. Many celebrities came together within a very short amount of time to host a telethon to raise money for relief in Haiti. I do not have exact numbers of funds raised from that telethon, but I'm sure it was/is a very significant amount.
So... Americans, way to go. Way to use the resources that you have to help others out in a huge way. I still have much frustration with how we use many of our resources, but for your response to the earthquake in Haiti I commend you greatly.
Let's keep up the good work and not just give in reaction to major disasters, but may we also give with compassion towards those who live in disastrous conditions day in and day out.

No comments:

Post a Comment